Call our friendly team today 01258 472132

Are new gas boilers hydrogen ready?

Are new gas boilers hydrogen ready?

Many people probably aren’t aware that the majority of our gas appliances that we use today, such as our boilers can already run on a mixture of hydrogen and natural gas. This is known as a ‘blend’ and is why you see the term hydrogen blend ready boilers. 20% of the fuel source is hydrogen and the remaining 80% is natural gas.

Hydrogen Ready Boilers

A hydrogen ready boiler on the other hand is a boiler that can run on natural gas or 100% hydrogen. A hydrogen-ready boiler  replaces like for like your existing gas boiler. The boiler can be quickly and easily converted to burn hydrogen at the time when the local network switches over.

Hydrogen ready boilers are likely to be available from 2030 onwards, this means as the government gradually increases ‘green gases’ into the UK gas grid, you can rest assured your new gas boiler will use on gas for its lifetime, without home owners needing to pay for costly and disruptive technologies.

Why hydrogen?

Did you know around heating our homes accounts for around 15% of the UK’s carbon emissions! Hydrogen is possibly the easiest way for the domestic market to move towards low carbon heating option.  Hydrogen releases neither carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide in fact the only by product is water. Hydrogen is a renewable energy source, meaning that we can continue producing more without ever running out.

A hydrogen boiler would look and act the same as your current gas boiler and no costly insulation improvements would be required.

Cost of a hydrogen blend boiler

Manufacturers are confident a hydrogen boiler shouldn’t be any different pricewise to a gas boiler. What’s more, many of the components and parts many are identical to those of a natural gas boiler.

Worcester hydrogen blend ready boiler

All All Worcester Bosch boilers are already hydrogen-blend ready. That means they can run on a blend of 80% natural gas and 20% hydrogen, ready for when the government begins to add hydrogen to the UK gas grid.

The UK will, eventually, switch from natural gas to 100% hydrogen.

How can we help?

Do you have any questions on the future of home heating? Would you like some impartial advice or a quote for a new energy efficient hydrogen blend boiler? Call our friendly team on 01258 472132 or fill in an enquiry form.

We offer free, no obligation new boiler quotations across Dorset this includes Blandford, Shaftesbury, Sturminster Newton and further afield. Our local engineers also cover Somerset, Wiltshire and Hampshire.


Get In Touch

    Call us on: 01258 472132


    Our Accreditations